All Collections
Applying for a mortgage
How do I access HMRC tax assessments?
How do I access HMRC tax assessments?
Polly avatar
Written by Polly
Updated over a week ago

If you're self-employed, we'll need to see your last one to two year's HMRC tax assessments (SA302), and usually your corresponding tax year overviews too. These are required so that we can provide evidence of your income to your chosen lender.

There are a few ways you can access your HMRC documents.

HMRC self-assessment online

If you usually submit your tax return through the HMRC self-assessment online account, you will be able to print both of the required documents from your online account too.

Here's how to access your self-assessment:

  1. Log into your HMRC online account via

  2. Select 'Self Assessment' - note that if you're only registered for self assessment, you'll land here automatically

  3. Click 'View your tax return'

  4. Click 'Tax return options'

  5. Select the desired year from the drop-down and click 'Go'

  6. Click 'view return'

  7. Click 'view calculation'

  8. Then click 'view and print your calculation'

  9. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'print your full calculation'.

Here's how to access your tax year overview form:

Follow steps 1 & 2 as detailed above, and then:

  1. Click 'View account'

  2. Click 'Tax years'

  3. Select the desired year from the drop-down and click 'Go'

  4. Click 'Print your tax year overview'

Commercial software

If you use commercial software to send your tax returns, then this software should allow you to print your SA302 from within the platform. However you'll need to log-in to the self-assessment online portal to get your tax year overviews.

Post and phone

If you're old-school and you submit your paper tax returns to HMRC, you'll receive a copy of your SA302 by post. You can request your tax year overview by calling HMRC on 0300 200 3310 using your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and NI.

Did this answer your question?